Style: Folk, Experimental
Format: MP3 FLAC DXD VQF AUD MP3 DTS ADX MMF
FLAC size: 1557 mb | MP3 size: 1793 mb | WMA size: 1391 mb
Ys (/ˈiːs/ EESS) is the second studio album by American musician Joanna Newsom. It was released by Drag City on November 6, 2006. The album was produced by Newsom and Van Dyke Parks, recorded by Steve Albini, mixed by Jim O'Rourke, with accompanying orchestral arrangements by Van Dyke Parks. It features guest vocals from Newsom's then-boyfriend Bill Callahan and from her sister, Emily Newsom
Massive Attack - 5 Song Set Recorded For MTV Between 1996 To 1998 - Продолжительность: 27:08 MASSIVEATTACK.
Joanna Newsom recorded one of the most disconcerting albums of the 2000's, "Ys". A spellbinding album made up of five tracks, the shortest of which is just over seven minutes and the longest almost seventeen. The baroque universe of this album is entirely formed and based on unusual instruments, which come out of the routine of rock and folk. It is an orchestra of strings that illuminate the voice of Joanna, and finally, the harp is discreet. Newsom, from his most intimate.
Ys (CDr, Album, Promo). DC303CD, 2LP. Germany. Incredible album and amazing packaging. There is some surface noise between Monkey & Bear and Sawdust & Diamonds, but overall the sound is really warm. Reply Notify me Helpful.
Ys by Joanna Newsom, released 14 November 2006 1. Emily 2. Monkey & Bear 3. Sawdust & Diamonds 4. Only Skin 5. Cosmia A once-a-life moment, forged into the shape of an album. These five songs are worth a thousand pictures, and that adds up to a million words - and that's almost as many words as there are in the libretto for this epic (pron. edwardrekishi On my second listen through this it dawned on me that this was the best album I had ever heard. There are dozens of albums with beautiful poetry and pervasive introspection, with masterful arranging and instrumentation, but this album marries all of that to a very potent clarity, which makes its brilliance inescapable.
The Milk-Eyed Mender was a striking debut that set Joanna Newsom apart from her indie folk contemporaries. Its simplicity and depth, and the way it sounded timeless and fresh, made her a singular figure in that scene. On her second album, Ys (pronounced "ease"), she continues to move in a very different direction than her peers, and even a different one than what her audience might expect.
I guess the point is to find Joanna Newsom eloquent, a blooming flower among the weeds of her psych folk, but that’s like pointing at the sky and calling it blue. The true appeal to Newsom, underneath the tapestries of her arrangements, saddled between her melodies and poetic charm, are her nimble stumbles. As with any brilliant album, moments of ingenuity are interjected into the mix, and Ys is consistently surprising because of them. The upbeat attitude to Monkey & Bear, its meticulously crafted tune courtesy of Parks’ subtle use of spattered violins complementing Newsom’s harp without overpowering it, is seemingly lifted from the pages of a fairy tale.
Pronounced ees, harpist Joanna Newsom’s second album is an unusual piece of modern artistry; it doesn’t sound like anything else released in 2006. Five songs in 55 minutes, the album slowly unravels in its idiosyncratic nuance. Newsom’s voice recalls old style jazz and cabaret singers with the touch of a ‘60s folkie while her compositions and arrangements are steeped in wandering, ponderous art song
Listen free to Joanna Newsom – Ys (Emily, Monkey & Bear and more). Ys (pronounced /ˈiːs/) is the second album by Joanna Newsom. It was released by Drag City on November 14, 2006. The album was named for the mythical city of Ys, supposedly built on the coast of Brittany, France, and later swallowed by the ocean. The album features full orchestra arrangements by Van Dyke Parks on four of the five tracks. Parks also contributes accordion. Newsom's harp and vocals were recorded by Steve Albini and the orchestra was recorded by Tim Boyle
Tracklist Hide Credits
Harmony Vocals [Harmonies] – Emily Newsom
|2||Monkey & Bear||9:29|
|3||Sawdust & Diamonds||9:55|
Harmony Vocals [Harmonies] – Bill Callahan
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Drag City Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Drag City Inc.
- Licensed From – Drag City
- Licensed To – Spunk
- Manufactured By – EMI Music Australia Pty. Limited
- Marketed By – EMI Music Australia Pty. Limited
- Pressed By – SM – 6161024210
- Recorded At – The Village Recorder
- Recorded At – Entourage Studios
- Mixed At – Sear Sound
- Mastered At – Abbey Road Studios
- Accordion, Conductor – Van Dyke Parks
- Arranged By [Orchestral Arrangements] – Van Dyke Parks
- Banjo, Mandolin – Matt Cartsonis
- Bass – Bart Samolis, David Stone*, Peter Doubrovsky
- Bassoon – John Mitchell
- Cello – Erika Duke-Kirkpatrick, Giovna Clayton*
- Clarinet – Jeff Driskill, Peter Nevin
- Contractor [Orchestra] – John Rosenberg
- Copyist [Copying] – William Stromberg
- Design – Richard Good
- Electric Bass – Lee Sklar*
- Electric Guitar – Grant Geissman
- Flute – Patricia Cloud, Susan Greenberg
- French Horn – Steven Durnin
- Marimba, Cimbalom [Cymbalum] – Terry Schonig
- Mastered By – Nick Webb
- Mixed By – Jim O'Rourke
- Oboe – Phillip Feather*
- Painting – Benjamin A. Vierling
- Percussion – Don Heffington
- Producer – Joanna Newsom, Van Dyke Parks
- Recorded By [Harp And Vocals] – Steve Albini
- Recorded By [Orchestra] – Tim Boyle
- Trumpet – Robert O'Donnell
- Viola – Briana Bandy, Caroline Buckman, David Stenske, Jessica Van Velzen, Karen Elaine*, Marda Todd, Miriam Mayer
- Violin – Adriana Zoppo, Cameron Patrick, Edmund Stein, Francine Walsh, Gina Kronstadt, John Wittenberg, Julie Rogers , Larry Greenfield, Shari Zippert, Sharon Jackson , Vladimir Polimatidi
- Violin [1st], Concertmaster – Peter Kent
- Vocals, Harp [Lyon & Healy Style II Pedal] – Joanna Newsom
- Written-By – Joanna Newsom
NotesReleased in a cardboard slipcase.
Harp & Vocals recorded at The Village Recording Studios, LA, December, 2005.
Orchestra recorded at Entourage Studios, LA, May and June, 2006.
Mixed at Sear Sound, NYC, July, 2006.
Mastered at Abbey Road Studios, London, July, 2006.
© & ℗ 2006 Drag City Inc. Licensed to Spunk from Drag City. Manufactured and Marketed in Australia by EMI Music Australia Pty Limited under exclusive license.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 94637 62852 2
- Matrix / Runout: [SM logo] 6161024210 URA195
- Mastering SID Code: ifpi LR11
- Mould SID Code: ifpi 2661
|DC303, DC303-LP||Joanna Newsom||Ys (2xLP, Album)||Drag City, Drag City||DC303, DC303-LP||US||2006|
|pcd-24181||Joanna Newsom||Ys (CD, Album)||P-Vine Records||pcd-24181||Japan||2006|
|DC303CD||Joanna Newsom||Ys (CD, Album)||Drag City||DC303CD||US||2006|
|DC303CD||Joanna Newsom||Ys (CD, Album)||Drag City||DC303CD||2006|
|DC303CD||Joanna Newsom||Ys (CD, Album, Promo)||Drag City||DC303CD||US||2006|